Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th! -- Day 34

It is hard to put a dog on a diet. I had tried before with Izzy, substituting frozen green beans, steaming broccoli and cauliflower in chicken stock and substituting that…. I mentioned yesterday that Mr. Smith is on a diet. His vet said he needs to lose 7 pounds (he weighs 37) and recommended cutting his food intake. This is so hard to do. Why? He is ravenously hungry. He has a remarkable sense of smell, and that boy could smell a cookie on the counter from across the room! He has been scavenging the streets and tries to pull me to all the discarded food in the park.

So why am I bringing this up? Because switching Izzy to Scooterfood has never been like this. I know she misses her rawhides, but she is content. She gets 2 meals a day and food she loves. (bonus that it is warmed up.) The treats that she gets (scooter treats, chicken treats and lamb lung) are her favorites and not bad for her. High in protein and low in fat.

I should note that Izzy and Mr. Smith are 2 very different dogs. Izzy has never been highly food motivated and Mr. Smith is part beagle.

Anyhow for the 4th, the dogs had a great walk in the park, went to the farmers market and chilled in the AC. Then dinner and fireworks. I fell asleep really early and my sister Genny said that she would take the dogs out one last walk. Izzy would not go, and because she would not go, Mr. Smith would not go. Funny dogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment